Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

@RaceyRules Returns 6/19!

Season 2 starts on June 19th!
YouTube provides quite a few entertaining series to follow.  Some of the shows that I follow regularly are: "Awkward Black Girl," "Mortal Kombat: Legacy," and "How Men Become Dogs."  However, my favorite, by far, is "The Unwritten Rules."

"UR" is a show about a young, black woman named "Racey" who struggles to fit into Corporate America.  Not being allowed to just simply exist within the workplace and do her job, Racey has to put up with white co-workers who are completely uncomfortable around black people.  They question her hair, food items and even her belief in Santa Claus.

And to make matters worse, she also has to deal with black co-workers who think she's somehow abandoned their race to fit into "White World."  Because Racey has a better position in the company than they do, she is treated as if she thinks that she's better than her black peers.

The show is shot in a style similar to "The Office" and is based on a book called "40 Hours and an Unwritten Rule" which was written by Kim Williams.  Kim also writes for the "UR" web series and does a great job sifting through a plot in six to eight minutes for each episode.  On top of it always being an interesting story, there is plenty of comedy to entertain you in the process.  However, what makes the show so addictive on top of the storyline is that the characters are likable.  Each one brings something different to the mix that makes the show unique and worth following.

I can personally relate to the show because I've been in some of the situations Racey experiences.  I've been the solo office black guy who is too white for my own people, but too black for white people to feel completely comfortable around.  I've had the insensitive boss who didn't have a clue when she's offended someone.  And I've had the nosy co-worker who acts like she's my friend yet secretly hates everything about me.  Even for the things I've never experienced personally, I've seen them played out over the course of a couple of decades in the workplace.

Check out a sample of the show to get a feel for it and I'm sure you'll like it enough to follow.  Take a few minutes and give this show a chance and I guarantee that you'll be a fan. It's less than six minutes long.  Here's the first episode:



Some of the cast from "UR," Aasha Davis (Racey), Sara Finley (Kathy) and David Lowe (Peter) will be my guests on the Talk 2 Q Radio Show for a special edition on Tuesday, June 18th at 8 PM EDT / 5 PM PDT.  Be sure to join the chat room and interact with some of talent Hollywood has to offer!

Unwritten Rules, Season 2 Premieres Wednesday, June 19th at 12pm EST / 9am PST
Twitter: @RaceyRules

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog