Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Bliss That Is NFL Sunday

So many women became widows today. Not from something tragic as a death, but from the first week of the 2010 NFL season.

So many men have imprinted their butt cheeks on their couches or recliners as they enjoy the first of 20 football-filled weekends. Of course, I'm included in that group.



The Mrs. is a wonderful woman. She allows me to be me (which is very important in a marriage). When we got married, she didn't compete with football. Instead she embraced it. She knew that it was my favorite hobby and she's accepted that. She's learned more about the sport, watches it with me from time-to-time and if she doesn't feel like watching, she allows me to do so in peace.

So many of my friends have wives who wish to compete with the NFL. Now, of course, if it comes down to a decision, the wife should always gets the nod in that situation, but at what cost? Is there really a benefit to a woman who finds a way to remove her man from the couch? What exactly do you win?

Definitely not happy thoughts from your spouse. You basically turn your guy one step closer into "Al Bundy". An empty shell of a man who winds up holding your purse in the mall. Then again, maybe some of you want a lifeless man 'til death do you part.



Ladies, let me offer a bit of advice (and this applies to more than football):

If your boyfriend/husband had a football habit before you, then it's not in your best interest to attempt to change him. A smart man will double his efforts Tuesday through Friday if it means that he can get a bit of freedom on Saturday through Monday. I'm not saying he should abuse it and disappear for the entire weekend, but throw him a bone. Let him be the man you married and not the man you want him to be.

If he wasn't the man you wanted when he proposed to you, then why did you marry him?

7 comments:

  1. Amen! The competing with things for attention and change-your-man stuff comes though selfishness. How lovely would our marriages be if women would knock it off and simply grab a good book, cuddle up with our man, and enjoy some chapters while he watches his game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIGHT ON QUINCY! SEE I DON'T BOTHER MY MAN WHEN HE WATCHES THAT SHIT! I find other shit to do! Hell, I even watch it with him. Not gonna lie I don't like that shit mostly because I don't understand what the fuck is going on....I'll ask questions, he answers but I let him do him.

    Its better than his crazy ass being out in the world killing bitches and blackin out lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Q. I agree. There are other options. It's a give-and-take situation. I watch HGTV with The Mrs. and wind up getting kicked out of the room for asking too many questions. LOL! It gets interesting!

    Falen, you are a trip! I'm glad your boyfriend is watching football as opposed to the alternative, too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate football. And that's okay. It was shoved down my throat my entire childhood. But as an adult, I was lucky to avoid it... my world did not contain football at all.

    Until now. My ol'goat is a high school football coach. We have been together for a couple of years. So I learned all about it. Went out and bought "Football for Dummies"... I figured if I wanted to have a conversation with him I was going to have to learn a little something about it.

    And now? I like football. Now that I understand a little about the game. And now that I know people involved in the sport. It's different than sitting & watching a bunch of people I don't know or care about making way too much money to chase after some leather and beat each other up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description of the game is too funny, Sherri! And referring to your man as an "ol' goat" is even funnier!

    I'm glad you finally got into it a bit. Most of the people who don't like something have never tried to learn about it. Just being familiar with something can make a person appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always a big football fan growing up as it was part of our family tradition to all bet against each other when our teams played. And of course I loved the Dallas Cowboys at the time. But, now I'm partial to the Seahawks since you gotta support your own team.

    My boyfriend is a big, big football fan and I'm completely fine with watching it with him and if I get too bored, well then I go occupy myself with something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm a Cowboys fan and far from a Seahawks fan, evil p0ptart!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog