Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Revoke Your Black License

I was instant messaging a co-worker of mine who resides in Richmond, VA. She's a football fan and we're talking NFL when the subject of other sports came up. I mentioned that I liked the NBA and NCAA basketball, but that I'd really enjoyed the NHL this past season.

There was a long pause in a response to my message and then she replied, "What?"

"NHL. Hockey. Football on ice", I replied.

Then I saw a series of "LOL's" all across my screen. She was laughing at me.

"How can a black man from the south enjoy hockey?"

"Uh, I just do. It's an exciting sport! And the presentation of the Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy presentation I've ever seen."

"That's it. I'm pulling your race card, Q. I'm going to revoke your black license."

Wow. A black man can't enjoy hockey? A person from the south isn't allowed to 'pimp the puck'? One day I decided to give hockey a chance back in '93 and I've followed the New Jersey Devils ever since (I picked them since my alma mater's mascot are Devils). Mix in the fact that we have a minor league hockey team in Biloxi and my interest grew even more.

In fact, The Mrs. and I (who was just a girlfriend at the time) attended Game 7 of the Kelly Cup and sat through double-OT (until 2 AM) until the Mississippi Seawolves hoisted the Cup after an awesome goal (I knew at that point that she was marriage material if she was willing to sit through four hours of hockey with me).

Well, needless to say, I didn't share the fact that I've attended a NASCAR race at Talledega on three separate occasions. My co-worker might have orchestrated a racial intervention at that point.

But, the bottom line is: I love sports. If there's a ball involved or someone being timed, I'll probably watch it. In fact, I think it's sad that some people consider some sports a "white" or "black" sport simply based on stereotypes.

Basketball and Track & Field have always been considered "black" sports, the PGA, NHL, Tennis and NASCAR have always been considered "white" sports.

Does that mean I'm not allowed to view a sport "outside of my race" without getting my "black license" revoked? Of course not.

People need to be more open-minded when it comes to sports, music and movies. Black people need to stop hating on every white rapper that comes along and white people need to put more black people in lead roles on prime time TV.

And so on and so on. Let's get past this crap already.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome post - I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! We are people, the adjectives come from society. A society that is full of more than kindness. I am a black woman, but a woman first, our culture(American) needs the black in front. I would rather people saw my character before my color. Everyone can not think this way, so I go with the flow and love from the heart. I hear a change comin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-said, Chaplain Donna. The focus is in the wrong place. The question is: will it change in our lifetime? I don't think we're any where close to that happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all of the above. Quincy-I think we can start the change. I'm hoping that we are planting the seeds-and the next generation will be able to pick though the weeds & let it grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG THAT'S SO HOW I FEEL! You don't know how many times I get the "you've lost your BLACK card" all because of the stuff that I like! I don't listen to a lot of rap, I'm obsessed with this show THE TUDORS and FRIENDS, and I sound like a 'white' girl ...or that's what people say...what the hell...MY SKIN COLOR SHOULD BE ALL THE BLACK I NEED! Now I gotta wear weaves, a gold grill and roll my neck to maintain my blackness? wtf lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, you might as well forget this. You know people can not get past certain things, no matter what happens. He in Ga. the redneck society basis everything on color. It's sorry. But it is almos the same as male-female sports. I love the all sports too, but how many dudes will watch the WNBA or College Softball? Not alot. Or at least admit it.

    People may get older but that doesnt mean wiser.

    Enjoy the sport for the sport, not the ones who play it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ The Mrs. - If we're going to make it happen in our lifetime, then we have a lot of work ahead of us.

    @ Falen - You're on your own with "Friends". LOL! Nah, I used to catch grief from my friends for watching "Seinfeld", so I know what you mean.

    This Daddy - I don't actively watch or set my DVR for WNBA or softball, but if I went some where it was on, I'd pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think black people who don't support black things are lame. what's wrong with supporting your own?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devan, I don't think you're required to support "your own" just because. If I don't like a show, politician, etc., then why support them just because we're both black?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog