Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Choosing Emotions Over Common Sense

When I first started my blog, two years ago today, it was called "Thank, Q for Common Sense" for a reason. I felt the desire to inject some "common sense" into the blogging world. Although people are welcome to blog about whatever they would like, I thought there were too many blogs that lacked perspective. So many blogs seemed as if they were based on what the writer felt from the heart instead of from the brain.

I didn't want to do that. I wanted my blog to be strictly based on logic and perspective because that's how I try to live my life. Because of that, it gets frustrating to come across people who don't have the same concept. I wish people would stop choosing emotions over common sense. Just because you like something or someone doesn't mean that you should defend that idea/person at all costs.

I remember when the Chris Brown / Rihanna incident happened how so many people on Twitter were coming to his defense. "Well, we don't know what Rihanna said to him that pissed him off."

"Everyone deserves a second chance."

"Leave Chris Brown alone."

Really? So, simply because you like the guy (or you're a fan), he isn't guilty of anything? R. Kelly. Charlie Sheen. Lindsay Lohan. I can go on-and-on. These people have been accused of some heinous acts yet they're even more popular than ever. Why? Because you like their music or they make you laugh in a sitcom or movie. Ummmm, okay.

Well, let me take that back. I'm not saying that you can't be fans. I'm just saying that I think it looks stupid to defend them when people talk about the heinous acts that they committed. I think that's what's wrong with this country. We use our emotions to make decisions (which wind up being irrational). Everything offends us because we're too emotional. It doesn't matter if it's a true statement or not because common sense isn't factored into the equation. If it hurts our feelings, then we lash out. We'll even lash out over something that has nothing to do with us. Twitter blew up months ago from people defending Whitney Houston's substance abuse problem after her death. People who didn't even know her were pissed off at just the mere thought that someone who was in rehab as recently as last year was speculated to have overdosed... because they like her music. I even had someone on Facebook get mad at me for not Liking her "We Love Whitney" fan page. I told her respectfully that I didn't want to join the page which resulted in her Unliking my fan page.

Wow. Because I don't feel the same way you do about a person, I'm of no use to you any more, huh? So be it.

Tantrums used to be a kid thing.  Not in 2012.
People, I'm tired. I'm tired of being the only person willing to put myself in other people's shoes to understand their point. I'm tired of stating a fact only to have it offend someone because it applies to them or someone they know. I'm tired of being the voice of reason in an unpopular situation. Maybe two years has been enough time to fight stupidity. Maybe it's time for me to terminate my blog and move on with my life and find another hobby.

Psych! Are you nuts? LOL! That's actually what drives my blog. The more ignorance I encounter, the more posts I type. I shall continue with my message because some things just need to be said. I will "blog 'til I fall" and hope that I can just get one person to stop and think. You don't have to agree with me, but at least consider things from someone else's perspective. And remember this, as I blow out the candles on Year Two: common sense is like deodorant, the people who need it the most don't use it. (drops mic)



This country used to be mentally tough. What happened?

18 comments:

  1. Excuse me for a moment while I go shout AMEN!!!! from all the rooftops I can find. Love this post Q and I often think about this issue because a certain family member of mine does this with politics. Doesn't matter what the truth might actually be or the more difficult concepts involved in the issue.

    He's a Republican so Obama is automatically evil and everything he does is evil. I remember having a conversation with him when Bush was in office and he was going on and on about how The Patriot Act was a good thing and Bush was being maligned unfairly and so on. I said "Have you actually read TPA?" "Well, no." Yeah, thought not. Just because it was the work of a political figure he liked, it was automatically good. OK then...

    Now, to be clear, I don't care what political side one falls on, the point is that everything Republican or Democrat is not automatically good or bad because that's your political party. Do some research, understand the issues, stop being stupid and making assumptions based on nothing more than your own affiliation or like/dislike with someone/something.

    So as you can see, I am with you! It's really ridiculous how idiotic people can be simply because they like someone or something. Enough already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawfrog! I appreciate it. Now, I must say AMEN from the rooftops for your comment! I absolutely despise political parties. They both do the same thing, but complain when the other party does it. And people watch FOX News or MSNBC and believe every single word that comes out of the talking heads' mouths. Not once do they go online and find out the truth for themselves. Then, they become the biggest advocate for something in which they don't even understand how it works. "If they pass Obamacare, I'm moving to Canada!"

      Canada already has "Obamacare!" Read something for once in your life!

      Okay, I'm getting amped up again, let me calm down... LOL!

      Delete
  2. Q...I'm sorry I've been MIA. I missed reading your stuff bc you put it out there with no frills! You, as usual, are spot on! To me, the mark of intelligence is the ability to disagree with someone in a civilized manner. If you aren't brave enough to state your own stance and blindly agree with people just to keep the peace - no use for you at all! And if you're so "blinded" by your opinion that you will hack someone to pieces without hearing their point of view - same thing goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Reck! (does Reckmonster dance) "Civilized" is the keyword. We get so emotional over things that we can't make sense of what the other person is saying. It's two people having a one-way conversation and that never works.

      I bet you're wondering what the Reckmonster dance looks like, huh? :)

      Delete
    2. Q...I would pay money to see the Reckmonster dance!! Matter of fact, I may call up Mrs. Q and ask her to secretly record the Reckmonster dance - and she and I will go out on a shopping spree with the blackmail money we make!! HAHAHAHAH!

      Delete
    3. LOL! I guess I'll have to keep it under wraps in the meantime then! :)

      Delete
  3. Quincy, you're not allowed to stop blogging. We took a vote. You stop, we come find your ass.
    There, I said it.

    And if you're inspired by those who are blind to pesky ol' facts, you should never run out of material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll heed that warning and will stay in the game, Squat! I don't want anyone to come looking for me. But, you're right: I'd never run out of material since there are so many idiots born daily.

      Delete
  4. Totally agree with Reckmonster!! Civilized discourse ran off with dignity and respect long ago and did not leave a forwarding address.

    Part of the problem for a lot of people is understanding that someone else's differing opinion is not an indictment of your character, your intelligence, or anything else. It would help a lot if people would not take disagreement as a personal attack. If you believe in your stance and you've done your research, someone else NOT believing in it is fine and should not affect your self-esteem to the point where you have a verbal stroke trying to force your viewpoint down the throats of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you've stated is exactly what we do and it's troubling. Someone disagreeing with a person is the equivalent of slapping them in the face these days. I have no idea when this country turned into a bunch of babies. Everything hurts our feelings and it's pathetic.

      Delete
  5. P.S. - I also agree with Squatlo. If you stop blogging, we will all form a posse complete with fire torches to come find you and we will force you to blog. It will be like Stephen King's Misery except without the violence (mostly) and without that whole ankle hobbling thing, which makes me sit cross-legged, hiding my ankles, every time I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay, you and Squatlo have made your point! LOL! If I ever retire from blogging, then I'm going to have to move to some remote island just to protect my ankles! :)

      Delete
  6. Careful Q... keep talking smack about Chris Brown and Team Breezy will find you...

    But man, I couldn't agree more. It's this way with everything... religion, politics, culture... you're either with me or against me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't want anyone throwing bottles at me or anything. Religion is one of the biggest argument starter these days. Everyone thinks that their way is the best way. I consider myself a man of faith, but my actions speak for my beliefs. I'm nice to people and I treat everyone with respect. If they don't believe what I believe, then so be it. Why some people get offended when everyone doesn't think like them is just dumb to me. It's a waste of time. I have better things to do than to convince someone else to think like me. Although I throw out tons of advice on my blog, I just want people to think for themselves.

      Delete
  7. I've learned LONG ago that there is just no accounting for common sense and just because I think and act rationally and sanely doesn't mean everyone does. My father flat out said to me one day after I complained that I didn't understand that I "gave people too much credit" and that I had to learn not everyone would think about a topic as well rounded as I did. It was a hard lesson, I didn't understood why other people didn't get it...but it was a lesson I needed to learn. In the end...screw em...what are you really losing when they walk away? not a whole hell of a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jewels, I still get baffled at times from people's stupidity or failure to care enough to learn. Ignorance is an epidemic in our country and no one is doing anything to stop it because it's profitable.

      Delete
  8. You summed it up with this: "We use our emotions to make decisions (which wind up being irrational)." Too often I find that's how people live their entire lives and it's sad really...

    And this is for ALL aspects of their lives. Ask them for a logical answer to their beliefs/actions/etc. and you'll get an emotional response.

    I just want people to think sometimes...is that too much to ask?!?! Apparantly so... SMH

    ~Kesha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in, Kesha. I honestly wonder if people even know how to think these days. Most of use rely on others to tell us what to think more than ever. No one really encourages "free thinking" these days and it's sad.

      Delete

Search This Blog