Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Corporal Punishment: Fair or Foul


By now, everyone has seen the incident at Murrah High School in my hometown of Jackson, MS. If you have not, then you can check it out for yourself from a local news station here or ESPN's story here.

Basically, a basketball coach "disciplines" his players in order to turn boys-to-men. He takes a weight belt and spanks them whenever they make mistakes. Not mistakes in life, but mistakes on the basketball court.

"I took it upon myself to save these young men from the destruction of self and what society has accepted and become silent to the issues our students are facing on a daily basis. I am deeply remorseful of my actions to help our students." -- Murrah coach Marlon Dorsey.

Corporal punishment has been outlawed in the Jackson Public School system for 20 years. Although I believe in discipline for kids, I personally think this is over-the-top. The fact that this guy is not whipping kids for being bad kids, he's doing it for not running a play correctly or missing a lay-ups. Is that not one of the most ridiculous things you have ever heard?

Everyone, locally, is speculating if the coach should keep his job or not, but I'm wondering what's keeping him out of jail. Isn't this an assault? Against a minor at that?

I guess I don't understand what should be controversial about this. He should be fired and put in jail, right? Should not this be cut-and-dry?

Continue the discussion here!

2 comments:

  1. How about I go over and whip his a-- and see how he likes it. I think he is coming from some old fashion way of thinking and that isn't acceptable or right.

    I am surprised he still has a job and I wonder how long this went on before someone said finally said something. I imagine these kids were under the age of 13 or some teenager would have whooped his a-- in the process. It never ceases to amaze me what people do these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If I recall, he lost his job. He took things a little too far if you ask me.

      Delete

Search This Blog