Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ask for What You Want

"A closed mouth never gets fed."

That's an old quote that I've taken to heart since my late 20's.  I believe that if there is something or someone that you want, then you should ask for it.  I figured that everyone understood that concept after reaching approximately 30 years old, but that's not the case.  Some grown people would still rather sit in silence than to speak up and possibly get what they want.

I don't get it.

I don't mind hearing the word "no."  If I had a dollar for every time I heard that word, then I would surely be a millionaire by now.  Well, maybe not, but I'd have a disposable income for sure.  But, I prefer to at least ask and hear "no" than to wonder "what if..."

Especially, when it comes to relationships.  Have you ever been in a good relationship with someone only to have someone else you once liked finally speak up?  Or maybe you were the person who didn't speak up only to watch someone you cared about in the arms of another.  Why torture yourself?  You may be thinking, "well, if I'm wrong about that person's feelings about me, then I may lose them forever."

True.  But, if you're right, then you may be with that person forever.  It's all about your perspective.  Will you approach the situation looking for the glass to be half-empty or half-full?  Me?  I'm always banking on the glass being full.  Of course, that means an honest evaluation of the situation and I stress the word "honest."

If I approached a woman I'm friends with and asked to step out of "The Friend Zone" and she says "no," then that's fine.  If she distances herself from me afterwards, then that's fine, too.  Some things are worth the risk if there's a possibility of getting what you want.  Besides, I can easily find other friends, but how easily can you find another person who appears to be right for you as a mate?

Do you believe in asking for what you want or do you wait for it to come to you?

2 comments:

  1. Life is all about taking chances. You never want to miss an opportunity and be left wondering "what if?". Rejection is a normal part of life and teaches us very valuable lessons. Ask for what you want and you never know, you might end up with what you've always dreamed of!! Great post and even greater message!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, mi amiga! Not knowing is a horrible feeling. Been there, done that. In fact, I've even found out years later that I had a green light with someone that I never pulled the trigger on. That's not a good feeling!

      Delete

Search This Blog