Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

Well? Do you? Do you believe in things that go "bump" in the night? I'm not just talking about paranormal activities. I'm talking about urban legends, Bigfoot, etc. Why do people put so much time and effort into trying to make sense out of things that they don't understand? Or why they spend so much money chasing something that has never actually been seen?

I watched a couple of episodes of "Finding Bigfoot" and I just didn't understand the logic. I can only assume that this is a fictional show set up for entertainment purposes only because these people can't be serious, can they? Some of the people on the show are "experts" on what a Sasquatch (affectionately called a "Squatch") eats and where it sleeps, but they've never seen one in-person. With all of the technology that we have in the world, I'm sure that one could easily use infrared to find any large mammal in the woods.  So, I'm not buying four people with high-powered microphones walking through the Appalachians.


I remember reading the story of the Loch Ness monster when I was a kid.  I remember thinking of how scary it would be for a monster to live in a lake near my home.  These types of stories are great for telling kids, but how do adults get sucked into it?

Now, this is not to say that the supernatural doesn't exist.  I do believe ghosts exists, but only because I saw one as a child.  My father sent me to bed one night (I was in 2nd or 3rd grade) and I got into the bed with my back to the door.  I felt as if I heard someone enter the room, so I looked over my shoulder and said "good night."  My peripheral vision caught a shadowy figure that looked like a human, but was much taller than my father or my brother.  It spooked me enough to sit up in the bed and turn all the way around only to see nothing.


I jumped out of bed and ran down the hall back into the room where my father was.  He was still on the couch watching TV when I asked him if he'd come back to my room.  He said, "no."

I told him that I saw someone in my room and he didn't pay me any mind.  He figured I'd drifted off and started dreaming or something.  However, when I described the man that I saw (about 6'4", big hands and slender), he sat up on the couch and turned white as a sheet.  I was describing my Uncle Bo.  Uncle Bo used to babysit me as a kid.  I was less than a year old when he died, so I never knew him or what he looked like.  I just remembered hearing about him taking care of me.  He was a special needs adult and died at a pretty early age (in his 20's, I think).

My father knew that I wasn't old enough to remember what he looked like, so he knew that's who I saw because I described him so well.  He told me how Uncle Bo used to check on me when I was napping and he was obviously still checking on me.

So, don't think that I don't believe in the unknown because there are a lot of things that can't be explained.  However, I don't believe in every show that I see on television.  Remember back in the 70's and 80's how everyone was seeing UFO's (Unidentified Flying Objects for those under 30)?  Now with cell phone cameras and the ability to take photos within seconds of seeing things, no one is spotting UFO's any more.  Is that because technology has advanced to the point of being able to recognized fake photos?  Probably so.  It makes me wonder if any those sightings that I remember hearing about as a kid were all a hoax.

If you like "Finding Bigfoot" and shows like it, then by all means, watch them.  I'll admit that it is very entertaining to see how those people talk about "Squatches."  However, please don't try to sell me on the fact that they exist.


Do you believe in Bigfoot, the Boogeyman and the likes?

(Click here to discuss it in my chat room on 4/21 @ 10 PM EST)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog